Landed around 9:30am on New Years Eve. quickly through the formalities, then a series of trains to get home.
A few stats and observations.
- 42 days
- Around 6000 miles driven in 30 days
- Fuel cost between $2.09 and $3:39 per gallon, mostly around $2.30. That’s between $0.55 and $0.89 per litre (while the price in Oz was around $1.40 / L
- 436739 steps according to my phone’s pedometer, but I know it was turned off some of the time, so lets call it about half a million steps
- Most steps in one day: 23791 in Boston
- Currency conversion rate: Between 72 and 75 US cents to the AU dollar, mostly locked in at around 74 cents
- QantasCash debit card for most expenses. Highly recommend. Locked in good exchange rates in the months prior to the trip. Just one catch. Don’t top it up just before the Xmas holiday weekend. It took 4 days to clear the new funds due to the weekend and public holidays. By the time we had access to the funds we almost didn’t need them because we were almost home.
- Total expenses for everything including things that will last into the future (passports, luggage, opal card top ups, etc: Just under $33000. That’s about $8000 per person.
- Value of the experience: Immeasurable x 4.
Many thanks to Simon for bringing us home from the station, Jane for collecting the mail and providing a few essentials for when we arrived home, Julie and Paul for minding Domino, Steve for his wonderful introduction to the USA when we first arrived and everyone who has read and commented on our travels across the USA ‘On the Road Again’.